Sunday, October 14, 2012

Maven's Mailbag...


Yes, I get feedback. Boy, do I get feedback. Most of it is courteous, some of it unkind, but it's always appreciated. 

Today, I'd like to answer a couple of Tweets that piled up during my absence this past week. There is nothing more refreshing than returning home to Fort Wayne following a grueling client photo shoot in a sunny and sandy location complete with tasty margaritas and surfeit of tanned, glistening scenery on constant parade. I love expense accounts. 

Our first Tweet comes from Zach. Zach, as you can see from his Tweet, is concerned because he, like the Maven, is a former employee of Federated Media, operator of a number of radio stations in town. Apparently, some of young Zach's friends believe him to be masquerading as the FW Media Maven. 


To put your friend's minds at ease, Zach, let me state for the record that I am not you, and you are not me. While we both did work at 2915 Maples Road, more than 35 years separated us. When I drew a paycheck there, US 27 was a 2-lane road, only 2 house trailers (pre-fab buildings) were attached to the brick 1380 transmitter building and only 2 stations operated form there, 1380 and 97.3. I worked with names like Elliot, Latz, Maurer, and some new guy named Spangler. The rock 'n roll was on 1380, the Bonneville beautiful music was on 97.3. Dark ages to most in the business now. 
Hope that helps, Zach. Good luck in the future. 

Our second Tweet comes from Dave Wheaton. Dave's question poses a quandary because the Maven can not discern if the question is literal or rhetorical. 


Why don't I use my real name on the blog that I write? Actually, I don't use any name at all. If you want a name, I'll give you one, but it's not one you would recognize. I would ask you, Dave, as a powerful and influential member of the media, what do you and your newsroom-mates at WOWO really care about what some blowhard blogger has to say about your news operations performance? Unless, of course, there is some truth in my critiques? Either way, it's nice to have you along as a reader on Twitter and the blog.

Contact the FW Media Maven at fwmediamaven@gmail.com or on Twitter, of course.


No comments:

Post a Comment